The set-up. So, guess who asked me to write about cool people here in Nicaragua? I finally found out. For the life of me I couldn't think of anyone who would ask that question and not identify themself. Well, it was the same person who asked me to say hello to them in the email I wrote about the friends I have here--Rachel! Yes, she tricked me into writing about my friends and then saying hello to her specifically. Ha, that's funny, too.
So we're into exam week again. My exams are on Thursday and Friday; Thursday is with the 3rd and 4th graders, Friday is with the 1st and 2nd graders. It's good that I have an extra day with them because I need it. My first graders are quite behind where I hoped they would be. Second grade isn't too far behind, if at all. Fourth grade is in the same boat as second, but third grade is only a little ahead of first.
Anyway, here are some of the pictures that I've been promising for a while.
Some action shots (taken by a friend while I and my students were in action! No, not to be confused with inaction... first my 3rd grade class, then two pictures of first grade.



During our spring break (semana santa) and the CRC retreat near La Ceiba, Honduras:



Later during Semana Santa on the island of Roatán with (from left to right, or coolest to least coolest :) ahem...) me, Jessica and Liam, Michelle, Dusty, and Rachel.

Last weekend I went to a beach on Lake Nicaragua. It was the same co-teacher from Nejapa who invited me to the hot-springs who invited me this time to join his church. The beach was packed with people. The following Monday was an official holiday, so many people had packed up and gone to the beach. No joke, I was the only white person I saw all day. I did, however, see many animals on the beach, including pigs, dogs, and this here bull... :)

And last...my new hair-do. We'll see if it sticks. I like how easy it is.

If you would like to see any of these pictures in a larger resolution, just let me know. Talk to you later!
okay, who has you over to dinner all the time? who helps you grade your papers? who drives you to school when we need the van? who cuts your hair? where's the love, stainy?
ReplyDeleteUm, good point. It's true that you have been very generous with your food, your time, and generally everything. But that has absolutely no bearing on how cool you are. ... just kidding. By the way, thanks for dinner tonight. haha. lol.
ReplyDeleteSince you introduced the term "stainy", I think I will need to share the story of origination in order to avoid any misunderstandings involving me making a mess on myself. :) The truth is that the genious Mac people gave me my computer back with the operating system reloaded and licensed to 'David Stainstra'. Well, at least they got the Frisian part right. :)
Those kids look way to happy to be in your class. It looks like all is well and I like the hair cut.
ReplyDeletethat's a *very* scary picture of you, dave. but nice short haircut. made me think of when we "made" you get a different haircut in high school.... ;) :) haha
ReplyDelete-clh
hmmm...insteresting hair cut. What made you change it? Have you been improving your tennis game lately?
ReplyDeleteFrom one Stainstra to another - I like you haircut! Stainy is better than what they used to call Grandpa S - Stinky! At least they got the FRIESIAN part write! ;-)
ReplyDeleteDave! Like the hair but you look so scary... lol
ReplyDeleteHugs! -M.