 |
| Panorama of NCA Matagalpa's new row of primary classooms. |
It's been another long haul since the last post, and I've been looking forward to this update for quite some time now. Again, lots has happened, but I've waited to send this update because there was some big news abrew, and I wanted it to be final so I could share it with everyone!
the long awaited big news
 |
| My new "office" (the nerve center). |
Several weeks ago I started considering a major change in my work here in Nicaragua. An opportunity had arisen to take a new position at a brand new school, and while it caught my attention when I first heard about it, I didn't think much of it until I first saw the actual job description. The position was called
Educational Technology Specialist, and the school is called Nicaragua Christian Academy (NCA) Matagalpa, the newest addition to the NCA family of schools. (As many will recall, my original purpose in Nicaragua seven years ago was teaching ESL at NCA
Nejapa, which at that time was just starting its second year).
 |
| The unfinished half of the building. |
After much prayer, reflection, and conversation with friends, families, and supporters, I made a final decision early this week to accept the position, giving my work here in Nicaragua in a new direction. I am excited because this job will offer me a chance to focus a bit more on just one area in my current array of responsibilities. The main focus of this position will be working with the school to help them try to integrate technology into the flow of normal classes. NCAM wants to be much more forward thinking in how they approach education. Given the proliferation of personal computers and easy access to the internet, education stands to change quite a bit, especially in developing countries. So my job will be helping to imagine what education in this new connected age looks like and training teachers on using new technology. Many teachers in Nicaragua have very little experience with computers, which will contribute to this being a challenging role.
In future posts I want to share more about the context and history of NCA Matagalpa, because the story is inspiring. Stay tuned for more on this.
For those who are currently supporting me and plan to continue (I hope you do!), I will remain a Partner Missionary with World Missions, so nothing at all will change from your end. This is likely to impact my budget, as the new position will involve more traveling. It may also require a newer more reliable vehicle since Matagalpa is two hours outside of the capital city of Managua.
a big trip to nĂ³rteamerica
I will be returning to the US on November 13 for about six weeks until January 2. I will have the privilege of spending Thanksgiving with my family for the first time in 7 years! There are three important bits about that trip I want to share.
Mauro & Brookside
First, for the first week I am there, I'll have a Nicaraguan friend with me. Mauro, one of two young men I've been a sort of big brother to, is going to be visiting! Very exciting to have my first Nicaraguan visitor to my hometown! As I think through what to do with him, I'd love your ideas! What kinds of things would a 14 year old from Nicaragua like to do in and around GR?
Mauro and I will probably be making a presentation at Brookside CRC on the Sunday November 18th during the morning services. Mark your calendars!
Connecting with you
Second, I want to spend time with as many of my supporters as I can. I'd love to go for out for a meal or for coffee or ice cream. I will be getting in touch with you, but I invite you to beat me to it so I can fit into your schedule as soon as possible. Can't wait to catch up with you and share more of my story in person.
Visiting schools
Third, I am going to be trying to find schools that are doing new things with technology so that I can visit them and learn from them. If schools are integrating laptops or tablets in classes, or doing cool things with technology, let me know so I can try and visit them.
final comments
 |
first day post-surgery...
pretty miserable! |
Those who read til the end of my last post may remember that I was looking for feedback from people that had had laser eye surgery because I was considering it for myself. Well, only one person responded! I ended up going ahead with it and now my eyes are nearly perfect! No more corrective lenses! It was worth it even though that night after and first day after was my worst experience since Malaria. I couldn't even see he camera well enough to be sure if I was completely in the picture. I may need to go in for a touch up on one eye in January, still, but we're going to wait and see if it improves by then. In the picture below I can be seen enjoying something I couldn't really enjoy before... sunglasses--so the story does end happily!
 |
| Enjoying my new shades after laser surgery! |
At a time of transition, I am again drawn to reflecting on how all of this works only because of the generosity of my supporters. Thank you to each of you who have made the decision to contribute financially and in prayer to my work here. I look forward to seeing you again!
prayer items:
Pray for a smooth transition to the new position, that projects wrap up nicely, that there are no IT meltdowns at the NC when I leave, and that they will be able to forge ahead in the Media Studio without me.
Pray that I will have a great vision for how technology should be integrating with education, and that the Lord will use my efforts to impact people in His name and for His kingdom both here in Nicaragua and beyond.
Pray that Mauro will have a good experience in the US, and that he will return to Nicaragua inspired.
 |
| The prayer before the Open House at NCA Matagalpa. Lennin was there--can you find him? |
CONGRATULATIONS DAVE !!!
ReplyDeletePlanning on making a trip to Canada while your home? Your swim suit is still here and we'll crank up the hot tub for you, after your roll in the snow :)
At first glance, I thought you were a convict in prison in your "day after" eye surgery photo. :{
Enjoy being a tour guide. I recommend visiting Lake Michigan. Too bad you can't take him water skiing on the Lake at your folks?!
I'd love to, Kelly! I do plan on being in Canada, and when my plans are firmed up, I will give you guys a call or send an email. Can't wait to roll in the snow and then jump into the hot tub. :) I added a happier picture at the end...I think you and a few others have convinced me I needed to do that! :) Great to hear from you!
ReplyDelete