As many of you well know, I have embarked on a new journey with an old friend...Nicaragua Christian Academy (a.k.a NCA). When I first came to Nicaragua over seven years ago (!) I came as an English teacher at the fledgling school called NCA Nejapa. It was the second campus, and a young sister to what is now called NCA International. NCA Nejapa was to carry the vision of an excellent Christian education rooted in scripture to the growing middle class in Nicaragua. While the original NCA was still primarily focused on serving the children of missionaries, it had grown to include a majority of Nicaraguan students. But having all North Americans teachers meant the school was out of reach financially for many people. The birth of NCA Nejapa brought the first NCA school that was aimed at the underserved middle-income segment of the population in Nicaragua. In the past 8 years, since it's inception, NCA Nejapa has grown from 35 students to nearly 400, a clear testament to the desire of Christian families to give their children a great education.
On February 4, NCA will be celebrating the inauguration of another sister in the NCA school family, NCA Matagalpa. And that is also where I come in. February 4 marks the beggining of a new academic year, but it also marks the beginning of doing something different with technology in education. Vision casters at NCA determined to challenge the current norm for tech in education. For many, many schools, both in North America and in Nicaragua, technology in education often fills the role of "computer class." But, as technology has advanced and permeated society, we are all finding ourselves having to adjust to new technological resources and tools. The plan at NCA Matagalpa, and NCA Nejapa, is to integrate the computers into the learning process of every class. Rather than relegate them to a laboratory as an object to be learned, we will try to use them as a tool to help us learn other things, and a means of expressing our creativity.
| the only picture with us all together so far |
| teachers have had many trainings |
For those that have facebook, I invite you to pop on over to the NCA Matagalpa facebook page. I have begun posting there short profiles of our teachers. First and second grade teachers (Suyapa and David) are there, with more to come very soon. Please don't hesitate to like our page and show your support.
| discussing the training topics in groups |
| the reception and offices |
I know I've left out a lot of stuff I wish I could share now. It will have to wait for another post. As I embark on this new journey, please keep me in your prayers. It has been exciting and challenging so far, and it is my prayer that the Lord takes the hard work we have been putting in to make his name known among the nations.
Prayer items:
- Pray for more students at every grade level so that we can make our budget balance this year.
- Pray that a true sense of excitement about learning and creativity will shape the attitudes of the teachers at NCA Matagalpa and the new culture that we are trying to form there, and that students will ultimately develop a love for God that will flow over into their learning and relationships with others.
- Pray that the heavy workload of starting a new school will be bearable.
- Pray that the construction process would finish well.
- Praise for how well things are going up until now.

Hi, it sounds very exciting! Praying for a great year for you at your new school. Looking forward to "chapter 2" - Dave Radius
ReplyDelete