So, I went in for surgery this morning at 6am. Alma, another friend and co-worker at the Nehemiah Center came to my house before 5:30am to deliver me to the hospital on time. I arrived, realized I had left an important doctor's note at home (which I intentionally left thinking I wouldn't need it), so my room mate Lennin met Alma half way with it. When she returned, it wasn't long until I was in a fashionable open- backed garment and lying on a bed. The anesthesiologist had some trouble getting the needle into the veins in my hand even though they're normally easy to find. Apparently being cold (air conditioning) and nervous makes them contract. She had to use a baby sized needle in order to get it to work. :) When I felt the warmness in my hand I asked her how long it would take for me to go to sleep. She said I should be feeling dizzy. I told her not yet. Within 10 seconds, I told her that the dizziness was hitting and wham...that's all I remember. Then I was waking up in same room on the same bed, but on my side and with a sore throat from the breathing tube they used (which she warned me about).
So apparently the surgery went well. I now have a screw in my shoulder...hopefully it doesn't come loose! ;) And there's some wiring holding the ligaments in place. They should heal with time and I'll be back to normal. Good as new. They let me lay around for a few hours as they watched my vitals and let the sleepy meds wear off. I still felt a little dizzy when I tried to stand up, which is why they had a wheelchair right there for me.
That's about it. Not real climactic. I've got an appointment with the doc on Friday. he'll take the bandage off and let me know what I can and can't do. I'm guessing we'll talk about physical therapy as well. He did mention to Alma that I shouldn't lift my arm more than 90 degrees...so I think that's a good sign. I will be keeping it pretty still as I enjoy no pain. :)
The doctor offered to take my camera into the surgery. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was nearly full of pictures I'd already moved to my computer! But there are some interesting shots. I've put them on Picasa here. Be aware that they might be a little graphic, but there's no blood.
Again, thank you for your prayers! I have definitely felt them! I will continue to post as I hear more. And, also again check the Sea-to-Sea website. I'm posting some pictures that Kevin and I took when we made the trip since I don't have any from the current trip. Enjoy!
Here's a picture of me right before I went into surgery. See the separated clavicle on my right shoulder? Click the picture for the graphic slides. :) I'll have to post some of the other pictures I have of the damages from before the surgery when the group gets back with the camera containing them.
Glad to know it went well! Thanks for the update!
ReplyDeleteGod is good! Glad you came out of the surgery well. :)
ReplyDeleteCool pics, although I think I need to brush up on my upper-body anatomy...
I can not believe it! You have full pictures of the surgery you (and us, your friends) couldn't see in person. Having heard Dr. Aguilar describe what he would do, now I can really see it. You crack me up! But seriously, praise God that He is healing you! Un abrazo, Kim
ReplyDelete