I spent the first several days of vacation in Honduras at a hotel called "Hotel Candien". It's a nice place. For sale for $3 million. If you're interested, I can give you more info. I was there with about 40 other CRC North America people living and working in Central America. We met and learned about the history of the church in Latin America. Quite interesting. A little disturbing at points, but nevertheless very interesting. See here for a few pictures:
![]() |
| Honduras |
The last two days of the break I spent in Santa Lucia, about an hour and a half northeast from Managua. It's a small town, very nice. Mark Vanderwees, a CRC missionary, parters with and supports a community organization there which tries to train community leaders (both church leaders and general community leaders) and farmers. It was absolutely amazing there. The scenery was spectacular. Mom and dad--we're going to spend at least a day there, maybe a night, too. We climbed to the top of the ridge overlooking the city, some 200 meters up. Then we had breakfast at a farm on the top and climbed back to town for lunch at another farm. I believe they are both involved with the organization. There will be more pictures on this later. I haven't had time to prepare them for the blog.
This morning I woke up to a strange sight. My car was missing three windows. They were stolen last night from my car, which was parked on the street outside my house. there is supposed to be a guard on the street 24 hours. He may be responsible for two streets, I have to figure that out yet. Nothing was taken from inside the car. I had some tools in the back and a nice flashlight in the front. Didn't touch it. Just took the windows. See the pictures.


Okay. I have to run. I've already spent more time than I have writing this blog. More for another time.

Wow! Stealing windows... sounds like somebody was window-shopping :/
ReplyDeleteBut I guess it is really no laughing matter.
Is the attitude over there that you just take something if you need it???
That's a good one, Hobbe. I'm going to have to use that one next time someone says, "What? They took your *windows* and nothing else?!" "Yeah, they were just window shopping." Too bad I didn't get to be part of the price negotiation.
ReplyDeleteThere is plenty of theft here, but I believe it's better than most, if not all, other Central American countries. Keep in mind that Nicaragua is the second poorest nation in the Americas. I feel completely safe almost all the time, and have very rarely felt in danger.
I want to go to the eating restaurant too!
ReplyDelete