Saturday, February 17, 2007

the first two weeks

A quick update on the car situation. As I mentioned previously, I was unable to get it aligned due to a crooked frame or suspension. Shortly after the last post, I let a mechanic from the school take it to see what he could do. He came back that day with the car fully aligned. No, the frame/suspension was still askew, but the car was aligned. The mechanic pointed out that there was also a water leak that needed to be fixed. I quickly realized it was a much more urgent problem than the previous water leak as I couldn’t even make it to school from my house without a major heat increase. The water I put in at the top quickly started to come out of somewhere near the waterpump. The mechanic also told me that he wanted to do the paint job to fix all of the scratches and dents on the car. I asked him several times what the price would be more or less, and all he told me is that it wouldn’t be expensive. Because he made me feel like he was going to do me a favor or give me some kind of gift, I felt that not to take him up on this offer would be to show a certain amount of non-trust in him. And, since a paint job would be important at some point, I decided to take him up on the offer. The only problem is that he needed the car for eight days. So, that’s where I am right now. Waiting about 4 more days until I get my car back.

This week I’m living back at the apartments as a combination of the lack of a car and a family situation. The family I live with is Honduran, as you may recall. The father, as a pastor, has to return every month or two for a denominational meeting. During this time, I am required to not sleep in the house with the mother and son because of how quickly and easily rumors could start and the effect that could have on our Christian witness. I’ve enjoyed some aspects of being here. Certainly I enjoy being within walking distance of NCA in the evening (to work), and I enjoy being closer to the American friends I have. There is a connection I feel there that I also feel I’m really missing out on when I’m living there.

School has thankfully continued to be better than last year. It helps to start of knowing most of the students. Last year, it was a month before I knew all of the names of my students. This year I knew them all easily within the first week as there were only about 20 new faces in my classes. Kindergarten has been interesting. They are learning more quickly than the first graders of last year, I think. They cry a little more, and they’re less logical than first graders. When they need to go to the bathroom they ask (in spanish) “Can I pee?” as they grab or point to themselves instead of raising their hand and asking “Can I go to the bathroom?” or they just get up and walk out of the room. :) They have so much to learn about being in the classroom. But I think they are learning quickly and will be a well-mannered class before too long. Second grade this year is a bit more difficult than first grade last year. They have a much harder time paying attention, and I feel a bit like I’m doing second grade from last year again (which was terrible). There are some major differences, though. I have a relationship with the students already; I speak more Spanish and can communicate better with the teacher; they already know a bit of what I expect from them; I have one year of experience. Fourth grade is ahead of last year’s fourth grade, I think. Fifth graders are far more mature and quick to listen in class than they were as fourth graders, which is a huge blessing. High school looks to be a challenge, but I think I have a few new tools to help with that, and I think I will be able to convince them during the first few weeks here that it is important for them to behave and pay attention in class. If I can do that, we will enjoy this class together and we’ll learn a lot. The material will challenge them like crazy, but I think they’re capable of doing well.

That’s the update. Here are the prayer items:
-pray that I will be able to get a firm grasp on the classroom behavior portion of teaching
-we’re probably going to start a tutoring program this week, which means another hour of my time after school four days a week–so I’d like some wisdom on how to do that without it being too much for me.
-pray that I will continue to see and get excited about what God is doing in and around our school, and how I’m playing an important role in that

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!