Just got back a few minutes ago from a one-day intro to blacksmithing class given by my previous room mate, Mike. He and I and two others left this morning for the trade school that he just started this year. Click here for a brief description of what they do and how things are going. Anyway, I thought it was very interesting. We made a couple of hooks that can be used for hanging plans or hammocks or whatever. I felt a little bit stupid after I grabbed a little too close to the hot end of the metal to take a closer look at the beautiful work I had just done and burned my thumb and first finger. :) Thankfully it’s not too bad, mostly superficial.
Had my 5th and 6th flat tires two days ago. The same right rear tire had yet another nail in it. And when I went to put the spare on…it was also flat!…again! I ended up driving a very short distance on the mostly-flat spare to the nearest tire repair shop where it cost me much more than I thought it would–140 córdobas, which is about $8.
With about 8.5 days before exams (and a few short classes during exam week), I can’t wait to be done. Most of my classes are at the very end of the book already, and I’m trying to decide whether to spend a few days watching a video, or giving them a headstard on the next book, or doing special presentation-type projects. I’m very ready to be done with the high school class, although they surprised me a bit when they actually listened during the poster-presentations on Friday. Granted, only three out of 19 students actually did the assignment… but that’s another problem.
I got to my predecessor this week. She’s here visiting. It’s interesting talking to her and hearing a little about her experience.
Have a great week.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't be shy! Leave a comment!