Friday, October 06, 2006

keepin' on

It's Friday afternoon at 3:10. School let out about an hour ago. I'm now back at NCA, not at my school, in the air conditioned computer lab with a wireless connection. I had a good day today. I was pretty relaxed, unlike most of this week. I had a pretty rough first few days. The stress was mounting as the feeling of being inadequate pressed in. The high school class is a difficult bunch for me. They're a tough crowd, but I think I've mentioned that before. What was encouraging was one really good day last week. I'm not exactly sure if it was me or them, but they were interested and participative...and we laughed and joked. They told me it was an excellent class. Then this week I had another student telling me he and his friend want to switch to the other class because they don't understand anything in class. So I'm trying to take things a little slower...have lower expectations for how much to do in a class and how quickly to move on to the next thing. Not a highly productive class always, but we are progressing...I think. :)

With the younger kids it has been a somewhat different story. I have recieved several compliments from parents of first graders. Two have said that they are pleased that their children are learning and interested in learning English. They also asked if I would be back next year and expressed a desire for me to teach their kids again--this is a big encouragement.

It's once again time to plan for exams. This time and one after that and I'll be through one full year. I'm really looking forward to coming home. I'm looking forward to driving down the road and not seeing people pull out right in front of me, not stopping in the road, not crossing the road at the wrong place, not walking in the road at night wearing all black. I'm going to like driving at night not really having to worry when I go through a green light--sometimes I feel safer going through a red light here. :) But I'm also looking foward being with my family and seeing many friends that I haven't seen in a while. I'm looking forward to Christmas goodies and not eating fried foods for 3 meals everyday.

I came across some excellent latin music a few days ago. You can listen or download free of charge here. Click on "Katia Cardenal" and then click on "Discography". I haven't listened to all of this music, but so far I especially like "SueƱo de una noche de verano". Let me know if you like it, too. I believe (not sure) that the artists on this website are Christians.

Thanks for reading. The prayer requests for last time still apply! Adios y dios le bendiga!

7 comments:

  1. Katia Cardenal has a nice sound, like the folk ballads I listened to when I was your age back in the 1960’s and 1970’s. Too bad I can’t understand her lyrics. You should introduce Katia’s music to our favorite PE teacher. Its sounds a lot better than the punk music she described in her blog today with the “slightly dirty lyrics” that she listens to for motivation. I thought I taught her better. It was good to meet you last February. Hang in there. Teaching anywhere is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I feel like maybe I should know--but who are you that wrote this post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a mystery with clues.

    I gave you my approximate age.

    I said I had a favorite PE teacher who you know well too, and that I had a hand in her education.

    You can identify her, for certain, by what she has recently written on her blog about being motivated by not so nice music.

    You and I met last February.

    You can figure it out. But if you can't, ask that PE teacher. She'll nail it right away.

    Final clue: Her blog and your's are linked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i believe i've got it figured out. thanks for the hints! don't listen to your daughter. she's a bit of a odd one herself--just look at her picture. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got it figured out. Sorry if I caused any anxiety. Just having a little fun.

    Rev. Ponch

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!