Another part of the fun of this trip was that there were several large puddles/mud on the way...you can be sure I and those in my car enjoyed those. By the way, here is a picture I didn't get a chance to post with the last puddle adventure.It's been probably more than a week now since I've been able to do any real internet work (emailing or blogging). Power outages have been quite persistant, and for a few days the power was out at the school from 4pm until 9pm. Other days it's been out during the day from 10 until 3. On Thursday night it was out from 7pm until 3am...and when it finally came back on it was only on until 8am. Not sure when it came back back because I was at school. This is making it hard to plan any kind of computer work for the students--so that whole idea has sort of been put on hold. I don't feel like I have time to plan lessons that I probably won't be able to use.
Teaching middle schoolers and high schoolers is difficult--more difficult than I anticipated. I thought we would naturally connect a little more, but at this point I am actually preferring my elementry classes. I have been very excited to see the progress of my first graders. They're learning a lot and it satisfies me to see this. I'm not sure if I wrote about this before, but I had several complaints from parents that maybe my teaching style wasn't dynamic enough and that their students were not very interested in learning English as they had been the previous year. I am pleased to say that I think that has changed at least in elementry. In my opinion so much of that has to do with the attitude of the teacher. My attitude hasn't been the greatest, in fact a lot of the time I walk into the classroom frustrated rather than excited. This is an area that God has been answering prayers, yet, I still feel the tendency (or temptation) to be more frustrated than forgiving.
I played soccer a few weeks ago with several churches in a "friendship" game. It reminded me how much fun it is to play soccer and how much I love that intense competition. I hope to play more in the weeks to come. It is good to be able to run and play. Praise the Lord.
I also had my third (and fourth) flat tire in the last month and a half. Same tire-- the right rear. Good thing I was at NCA because the spare (the fourth flat) was also out of air. I'm going to try to beat your world record of 8 flats in 6 months, Ben! I might be wrong about those numbers, so correct me if I am.
Also, here are a few pictures of Patriots Day at the school to celebrate the independence of central America.






Prayer Items
-continued success with elementry, and especially continuing good attitudes.
-that I will find a local nica church to belong to--yes, I am still looking.
-lots of energy and passion for what I am doing, with a clear vision for how I am affecting change and using my gifts.
Hi Dave, me and the rest of your mom's sisters have committed to prayer for each others kids. It's been a challenge, as all prayer commitments are..I get so distracted..but your blog helps by provideing prayer requests and i will use those in my new effort to lift you and all my nephews &neices up for the Lord's blessing and direction. I'm glad to see you are having some fun too!! and seeing the interesting sites of that part of the world. be blessed, love auntjo <><
ReplyDeletedave!
ReplyDeletei love the pictures! the kids are adorable, haha i'm sure they don't seem that way all the time...how have you been? looks like things are going better. things here are good, the school is rolling right along. i have a really good class. they are a lot of fun to work with. liz and brad's wedding is coming up so i'm getting excited for that too. good to read about you! lots of love,stephe