Friday, July 07, 2006

settling in again

I have now been living with my new family for almost a week! Yesterday I also took possession of my car! And, I haven't done any work in 7 full days. Life is good. I am really enjoying the family that I live with. They have been very good to me in terms of helping me with Spanish and in terms of feeding me. I get three wonderful meals a day. Most of the time there are veggies, fruit and meat in addition to beans and rice tortillas, so I'm getting spoiled. The evidence of it will probably showing itself around the edges. Living with these Hondurans, I get to learn their special words as well as those of Nicaragua (from my co-workers). I'm really liking it. They eat together at every meal because the father is a pastor and spends a lot of time working at home. It's been good to just be around them. Because they have a TV, I have watched more TV in the past week than I have since I arrived seven months ago. There will be a few pictures below of my place. I will have to post a few pictures of the family and some more of the house. They will come--but look below for some pictures of my truck, which is parked in front of the house, and my room.

Tomorrow I'll be going to Tipi Tapa to spend some time with a co-teacher. He wants me to come to play basketball, help him with his English, and help me with my Spanish. So, it should be a fun day. Sunday I'm going to take it easy. I'll worship in the morning and then play games with some friends Sunday night. Next week I plan to take Spanish classes every morning with a friend. Then I'll try to walk around my neighborhood and get to know some of the neighbors and work on my Spanish. If possible, I also want to work on my preparations for next semester. I have some relatives coming down from Florida right as school starts, so that's even more incentive to work as much ahead as possible. I have plans to visit Herty Landia next Saturday with a couple of fellow teachers and their families. Herty Landia is a water park in northern Nicaragua. I'm sure it will be fun. Then Sunday I made some plans to go out of town and enjoy my "cuatro por cuatro" (4x4). :) Looking foward to that. When I come back, I will have another week to focus on work...not looking forward to that in the same way. :)

Those big changes I mentioned last time changed a little. The other English teacher, Cristhian, has left for some personal reasons that I do not know, and so that will shake up the English department a little. They are thinking of hiring someone from the staff of NCA. I don't know the guy but apparently he knows English pretty well and has even tought it before. I will likely be teaching the more advanced high school class now, rather than the less advanced class.

Without much more reading, here are the pictures:
(prayer requests at the end)

This is a 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser. It's got a 3.0L, 4 cylinder diesel engine. It's a real beast--the torque is crazy. It's got a 4 speed manual tranny, with reverse to the left and down. No power steering. The car doesn't look amazing, but I'm starting to like it anyway. :) The tires are different on the back because apparently the previous owner likes that kind better. They're 10-ply as opposed to the normal 3 or 4-ply that are on the front. He switched after too many flats on the other tires. Air conditioning blows cold. Guages work. I'm really pleased to have a good-workin' car.







My room is about 2 times bigger than my previous room, so I opted to leave the loft behind in order that I wouldn't have to climb into bed every time I want to catch a few quick z's. I do have a boxspring and frame now.




Prayer requests:

- Pray that my break will be both relaxing and very productive.
- Pray that the school will be able to figure out how to fill the gap Cristhian left, and that semester two will start really well.
- Pray that I will be sensitive to the Lord's leading in every area of my life, and that I have wisdom and knowledge to do all that he puts before me.

5 comments:

  1. Hello David!
    I am glad to see you are doing well! Things have been crazy around here! I have a new job I am so excited about! It's amazing! I was scheduled to go to 5 days of training and on the second day they had me off training! Scarry but very encouraging! We need to "talk" soon! ~ Anna Sessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave!
    Sweet Ride! I'm gonna have to come down there and get a ride in that dream! Sounds like your break and everything is going well. Gotta love those breaks, I'm sure loving mine...so much that I don't really feel like going back... school starts again for me on Aug 30. I'm been painting for my dad and just hanging out really here in GR. MIss YA! StephE T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave,

    Just thought I'd share a passage from my devotional book 'Devotional Classics' that stood out in my mind when I read your 3rd prayer request. Sometimes when i pray for people, a burden to share something comes to me and this passage has been running around in my mind for the last couple days. It's an excerpt from Frank Laubach's (also a missionary teacher) diary Jan. 30, 1930. He wrote,

    'We used to sing a song in the church in Benton which I liked, but which I never really practiced until now. It runs:
    "Moment by moment, I'm kept
    in His love;
    Moment by moment I've life
    from above;
    Looking to Jesus til glory
    doth shine;
    Moment by moment, O Lord, I
    am Thine."

    It is exactly that "moment by moment," every waking moment, surrender, reponsiveness, obedience, sensitiveness, pliability, "lost in His love" that I now have the mind-bent to explore with all my might. It means two burning passions: First, to be like Jesus. Second, to respond to God as a violin responds to the bow of the master. Open your soul and entertain the glory of God and after a while that glory will be reflected in the world about you...'

    I think your last prayer request, is a powerful prayer with great potential for someone who truly seeks to follow and serve Him. It has been a personal prayer and my prayer for His Church. I hope the passage speaks to you and whoever else might read through this long blog I just wrote.

    btw, i don't understand all the technical details bout your car, or truck or mini SUV - whatever you call it, but it looks good. It could break down several times a day, but as long as it looks good... ;) k, gotta go, plenty to do in busy NYC. Take care. Remember water and gatorade if your have a bout of food poisoning again.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. The car looks good dave! It's fun to read your letters...actually it reminds me that living out of my comfort zone will never happen. So glad you can go in the name of Jesus and do the work he sets before a special few..we stand with you in prayer, Aunt jo and UT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave,

    I took enjoy your blog posts - even if I don't read them as soon as they reach my inbox. ;-) I really do appreciate the pictures - they really help support your words. I think the 4x4 looks snazzy - probably helps that they don't need to put salt on the road for snow, eh?

    I too look forward to a longer break - I am feeling somewhat tired of my graduate studies. Weekends are really a time to look forward to. Since starting to teach tutorials here at U of W, I have been more intrigued about teaching high-school. I guess I'll see where God leads.

    May God bless and guide you.
    Sincerely,
    Hobbe

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!