Saturday, April 22, 2006

"the mac is bac"

Good news! I have my computer back! They surprised me this morning by calling me and telling me that I could come and pick it up, which I did as soon as possible. I was a little giddy this morning... :) Since then I've probably wasted too much time changing all the settings and preferences back the way I had them and then wasting time surfing the internet. This is something I will really need to be careful of now that I have my own computer again. It is a very big temptation for me.

After the first week back, I am feeling a little lost with the youngest kids--the 1st and 2nd graders. This week I was struck in first grade by how much attention I was not getting. I need to do something differently. I need to jump around more, or have them do more projects, change the activity more... or something. I probably should show my other teacher friends what I have to cover and ask them to help me with designing an engaging lesson plan. A few days of that kind of hand-in-hand help might be good for me. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little bit of pride there that doesn't want someone teaching me how to do better. Part of me just wants to figure it out myself--I don't want to hear from other people what I've been doing wrong. I'm sure you've tasted this tension between wanting criticism and not wanting to see the weaknesses.

As I was grading homework tonight, I realized that there really are a lot of students who understand the material we've been doing. I don't know why classes are hard for me. I was encouraged by that because I think it's a reflection of how much the parents work with their students. There have been many parents who have been speaking with me from time to time, and it's good to know how many parents are involved in their kids learning. I didn't know what to expect here, but I had heard it might not be that way. I plan to write them a letter sometime soon to thank them for that involvement and explain a few things that we've been doing, where we're headed, and how we can do better as a class.

The end of the next 6-week block is coming up. Two more weeks of classes. Since we're required to test at the end of every block, I will be trying to write a test during this coming week. The same problem faces me now as faced me last time...have they learned enough material to be tested on? I suspect I will be surprised at how much we did cover.

Thanks for reading. The prayer requests come right from above:

- That I will be teachable and humble in recieving and asking for help.
- That the letter I write to the parents will be clear, effective and encouraging to them.
- That the test will come together well.
- Please continue praying for my students, especially the ones who are really struggling and falling behind--like all of my first and second graders...just kidding... but there are more falling behind in those grades. In third grade I actually see more catching up than falling behind. I'm enjoying third grade more lately, and that's a good thing. :)

3 comments:

  1. teaching is definately a challenge and it sounds like you are really working hard to do a good job. that's awesome, the kids are great to have you! and don't ever feel bad about asking other teachers for help. there's a lot of wisdom that come from those who have done it before AND why reinvent the wheel, ya know what i mean? i miss ya and i enjoy reading your updates!
    love, stephe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Take the other teachers advice, remember you haven't been through college for teaching. All the teachers you had growing up went to school to learn how to do what you are doing. Also remember you are just learning this process and having to learn a new culture and language. For my schooling I read articles and books that talk about managers of corporattions that struggle with being placed in charge of companies overseas, because it is hard to adjust to the cultural differences. Just immerse yourself in the culture. Find places to go where you can interact with locals and learn the culture. Remember to listen. The hardest thing for us men.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dave,
    I'm praying for you and feeling for you! All of the normal difficulties are just plain heightened because of the cross-cultural situation your and your students' community are in. Of course, for them, it's only a small part of their lives that's not consistent with the rest. For you, it's every part of your present that's not consistent with the rest of your life. I'm thinking that's why the internet is a challenge. It brings the familiar into your unfamiliar setting. Language relaxes and so does thinking and everything else! My advice as usual with the internet is to go in with intension, knowing what you are looking for and not being distracted from that goal. It's still a challenge keep on one path. There are sooo many interesting offshoots and related sites, etc!

    Also, the tension you mentioned between wanting criticism and not wanting to see the weaknesses is so part of who we are! Keep the kids in mind. We always exist for the other. That's the Christ-way. It's not really about criticism or our weaknesses as much as it's about finding ways to meet the needs of the other. Failure in the eyes of the world is often triumph in God's eyes, because we learn so much from the experience.

    I liked the advice of John when he said to immerse yourself in their culture and to listen. I guess it's like saying, If you feel like a fish out of water, jump right back in! Get wet in the waters of this new place to which God has brought you. Aaah, but I know that's easier said than done. That's why we need each other and the prayer support we can give over many miles....
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!