Monday, April 17, 2006

back at it

I just arrived back in Managua after a week out of the country. I meant to post before I left, but was too hard-pressed to find enough time. Last week was what they call "Semana Santa" or "Holy Week"--the week before Easter Sunday. It's a huge deal down here and many people take the entire week off. Thursday through Monday almost nothing is open except for a few restaurants and stores. Grocery stores close, the banks close...basically, you better plan ahead for the next couple of days. Everyone heads to the beach and the beaches are flooded with people. Every year during this time, the CRC holds a retreat for it's missionaries and partners in the Central American region. This year, for the second year in a row, the retreat was in La Ceiba, Honduras (on the Carribean coast). It began on Saturday and ended Wednesday morning. I had a great time. Steve and Kim Holtrop were there, with their two kids. It was a special time as Nathan (their son) was baptized--so I was very excited to be able to be there for that. The focus of the retreat was discerning God's will, and I found it to be a good topic. I was enriched both by the focus of the learning and the relationship building (I met many cool people there). After La Ceiba, I spent a day and a half in Roatan, which is an island off the coast of Honduras (not quite visible from La Ceiba). It was amazingly beautiful there. So green. So blue. The sand was white... Quite an enjoyable time there for two days.

I'd show you some pictures, but I still don't have my computer back! I called today and they told me that the part should be in in two weeks. Two weeks! It's already been four since I dropped it off with them! :) I don't understand, but I am trying to be patient. I have done a good job, but I am realizing more and more how much I would like to have it back. Everything seems to have an extra 10 steps in the process around here. I am going to be appreciating the development and efficiency of the US when I return! :)

I have been looking around for a good deal on a cell phone. They're suprisingly expensive. A friend generously gave me one before I came down, but it's not working too well. The fact that it's a Sprint phone means I can't send or recieve text messages, and on top of that the battery will only last to the end of the day if I don't use it at all. :) Before I go spend some on a new or refurbished phone, I thought I'd see if there are any decent ones out there looking for a good home. I'm looking for an unlocked gsm phone (one that has the card, like with Cingular or T-mobile). So, if you have one you'd like to give away...let me know. :)

Alright. I should get going. I have a few things to do before I run off to bed just in time to get almost enough sleep. Thank's for reading! Prayer requests are the same as last time!

1 comment:

  1. hey dave!
    sounds like that trip you went on was pretty amazing.
    is school going ok for you? i hope it is. things here are good, the kids are well....being themselves for better or for worse.
    not much of our school year is left though! i can't hardly believe it! i'm thinking and praying for you!
    love ya, stephe t

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!