Saturday, March 25, 2006

kaput

Some frustrating news. My computer just stopped working. Apparently it is some kind of "kernal panic" that can be caused by software or hardware. I know the heat and dust here can be hard on computers, but I don't leave it out and on very often when I'm not using it.

When I went to find the authorized dealer, I ended up going to the guy just down the street...who is not authorized. He has a Mac logo on the sign and Mac posters in the store just like the place I was looking for...but he's not authorized to fix them. I had heard stories that he doesn't really know what he's doing. He charged my friend $25 for a diagnostic but could never tell her what was wrong. Pretty sketchy place. As I was about to leave the store, and my computer with him, he crossed out the official "@mac.com" email address on his many-times-copied invoice and replaced it with some other less official email address explaining that they have a new domain. Thankfully as I drove away I saw the right place. I successfully retrieved my computer from the wrong place and brought it to the right place. Now it will get a free diagnostic and will remain under warranty!

At any rate, it could be a while before I get my computer back because it may take a while to get new parts if it is a hardware problem. I may be posting less and emailing less, too.

1 comment:

  1. That really sucks.. I hope they can figure out what's wrong with it..! And that it won't cost you anything. (haha -- just a bit sketch, changing the company domain!!!)
    Is it true, that the weather is actually a danger to computers? I never even thought of that before... huh. But I guess it makes sense.
    Good luck with that, and sorry you hafta deal with it so soon into your time there! Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!