Saturday, February 04, 2006

a decent start

Well, it's been a while since I posted last, and much has happened.

I started teaching two weeks ago on February 6. It has been a fast two weeks. I find it hard to believe that I've had ten classes already! Teaching has been alright and looks like it will get better. Already I have had some good days and some bad days. I am teaching grades 1-4. My second grade class is a difficult on, and originally I thought it might be the most difficult. There are 21 students in that class, and many of them don't seem highly interested in learning English. My third grade class is proving to be difficult, as well. I think I would be naive, though, if I didn't consider that perhaps my teaching and classroom management play a role in their interest levels. :) This I'm sure will develop over the next several weeks, months, and years. I may have started a little soft, but there is still time to teach them to behave in class. My predecessor told me that discipline and classroom management were among the most difficult things for her, so I knew this would be a challenge. I am starting to get to know the students--learning their personalities, guaging their their English knowledge, etc. I've enjoyed hanging out with them a bit at recesses and learning small amounts of Spanish from them. Most of them time, I'm scrambling with some last minute preparations for my next class, though. :)


I have continued to enjoy the other teachers at my school. They are a wonderful group--talented, intelligent, very committed, and very friendly. I have been able to communicate with them fairly well. They are patient with me as I struggle with Spanish and are usually eager to teach me more. Last weekend one of the other guy teachers took a few of us to some thermal springs near his house. He paid our way and brought lunch for everyone. I was blown away by his hospitality. The teachers at Nejapa make less than what is considered middle-class income here. Only one of the other teachers has a car. The rest bus it to the school every day.

Another interesting aspect of life here is the water shortages. The water gets turned off everyday for most of the day. I think we only have city water from between 5 and 6am until between 9 and 11am, and then it's off until between 6 and 7pm and is only on for another 1-4 hours. Basically, the water is off almost 24-7. We mostly us purified water from a large container for drinking, and I bought a bucket to fill with water for bathing when the water is off. I'd say that I bucket-bathe about 1/3 of the time. When I'm not doing that, we're usually running on water from the water tanks here at the apartments. When we're not on city water, the pressure is not very good. And with the shower head I have, I almost have to run around in the shower to get wet.

That's enough for now. I have to get to planning. My Saturday is hopefully going to be filled with planning and supply getting. If you have been praying for me--thank you immensely. I have experienced some difficult times during the last two and a half weeks, and have felt the strength of the Lord lifting me up. It has been a bit like I anticipated in terms of being difficult and wondering how I could do it. The Lord has been faithful in being there for me to lean on and giving me strength.

Also, those who have sent contributions, thank you immensely as well. I haven't yet recieved a statement from CRWM indicating who has given. Hopefully I will be get that soon so I can thank you individually.

I want to mention one more thing. Last time I mentioned that NCA Nejapa is entirely unique in wanting to provide a quality education for the middle-class. I'm not sure that's entirely true. I've since learned of other schools being started in poor areas. I think it is at least somewhat unique in the fact that it is the offspring of a school that only the wealthy can afford.

Until next time...keep it real.

Prayer requests at this time:

* Daily courage and strength for planning and managing and loving the students. I am learning what courage means in a new way. I am learning to lean on the Lord more as I am out of my area of experience and expertise.
* Continued health. With the water "offages", we at school often don't have water to wash our hands (or some people end up using a 50 gallon drum of water to wash their hands--dipping their hands in the water). Thankfully I have been healthy so far, and I'm thankful for it.
* The elections for a new president are approaching. I'm not sure how soon, but who is voted in will have a large impact on the well-being of this country. Pray that the Lord will move in the hearts of Nicaraguans giving them wisdom in who to choose.

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, Mr. Stienstra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids need boundaries they crave them and will test you for them! You have quite a range of learners as well at all different levels!
    Miss you much and am so very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Dave (is that what the students call you?) --
    Just want to say that it's always the first few weeks of teaching that are the toughest... Once you learn what they need and they learn what you can offer (and won't put up with!) it'll go a lot more smoothly. Sounds like you are learning a lot, though, which is awesome. And I'm sure you are doing a great job with them... I'll be praying for you!
    -Mr. Ben (that's what my students call me... haha)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!