Here are some photos from the last two days at Nejapa. My parents requested to see a few, so I thought I'd put them on here. First is the picture of the school as the day is ending. First graders are have exited the room on the right (where there is a teacher in the doorway) and fourth graders have come out of the room on the right (where there is another teacher).
Next is a random closer shot of a few of my students. The two you can see most clearly are both first graders. The boy in the front is quite vocal and isn't shy about yelling out what he knows :). The girl is quite the opposite.
Third is the picture of the teacher workroom. My legs just fit under the siderail. :)
The last picture is one of the first grade class brushing their teeth on the steps of the school. They just had a lesson on hygiene and they were given a Colgate toothbrush and small pack of toothpaste. I was walking past and thought it was funny to see them all brushing their teeth together...so I ran back and in and got my camera.This week was another one of ups and downs. I had to make a decision on Wednesday night to have a different attitude for starting Thursday. I was starting to yell too much, and not enjoy the time at all. I think the students weren't liking it either... they weren't paying attention. I think there's killer combination at work: they can't understand me, I can't understand them, they have a short attention span, I don't have highly engaging lessons...They're not entirely at fault. Anyway, I am learning how to compensate for all of these things and remain positive during the day.
They are so adorable! I love what you are doing cuz! Reminds me of being in Mexico. Yeah ... yelling is not fun. It is so hard to find a combination of keeping them engaged and learning. Especially when you have a language barrier. I think thinking of you and if there is anything you need let me know! BTW your mom is so cute! She left a message on my phone that other night that she sighted a longhorn and had to call and let me know! LOL anyways, just know I am thinking of you! ~ Anna
ReplyDeleteHi Dave, you are really stretching me....using a blog is something i've never done before! what an opportunity you have and how exciting..those kids look so cute:) I know they will win your heart in a hurry. Be yourself and I know you'll do a good job. Teaching is amazing. I predict that by summer(here) you will have spanish mastered. God bless you and you will be thought about and kept in prayer. Aunt jo
ReplyDelete