![]() |
| Typing class on Book Day...the chef from Dragon Soup. |
We have been getting really great feedback from the parents of our students. I'd like to share a few phrases from one very pleased mother. "Additionally, the reinforcement of environmental awareness, concern for taking care of herself, a vision of a more positive God, seeing that she feels protected and listened to, seeing our daughter get up and get dressed with eagerness to go to her classes, and to hear her happily sharing the good moments that she has every day at the school, has been a huge blessing in our lives."
(For those that speak Spanish, here's the original text: "Además, la conciencia ambiental y el cuidado de su cuerpo reforzados, una visión de un Dios más positivo, el verla sentirse protegida y escuchada, el ver a nuestra hija levantarse y vestirse con ánimo para ir a clases y escucharla feliz contando los momentos gratos que vive cada día junto a ustedes, ha sido una gran bendición para nuestras vidas.")
A couple of weeks ago we had our very first parent seminar (pictures can be seen here). Thirty one parents came, representing 70% of our families, which was very encouraging to us as faculty and staff. Our teachers presented concepts from the book The Blessing, encouraging parents to reflect on their own lives and think about the impact they're having on their children. Parents were engaged and appreciative.
![]() |
| A recent project: rain gutter. |
As the year goes on, new gaps of responsibility are popping up, and I have taken on a few extra duties that weren't originally part of the job description (and still aren't, really). I've begun to oversee the team of four (but-soon-to-be-five) security guards. I also have been overseeing the maintenance guy. Additionally, in the past two weeks, I've been asked to step into a role that is more involved with oversight for the construction that is currently going on. This means I'll play a central role in a three person committee that will keep an eye on construction and related needs--making sure everything is going smoothly, that communication is good, and that the project stays on track and moving forward according to the plan. This is going to be a bit stretching for me since I am far from an expert in this area, and because I will have to balance it with my other responsibilities. I've heard it said that if you want something to get done on time, ask a busy person to do it... Maybe this will just help me to focus even more on getting things done.
We've also been investigating new accounting software for NCA. As the school grows--we now have three separate campuses and close to 800 students altogether--we are pushing the limits on the current accounting software. We're looking for a cloud solution that can be accessed from the internet. That way everything is accessible from anywhere, which also eliminate the need for installing anything on any computers. This is a big decision to make as it will require a decently large financial and training investments, and is a decision we'll have to go with for the next 5-10 years. Does anyone have experience with OpenBravo, Unifile, or any other cloud based accounting software that you're really in love with? Or that you hate?
| The Dama de Hierro looking as good as she does. |
| This is her good side, actually. |
I'm working on raising money for a new vehicle right now. If you are interested in knowing more about that, please send me a note. I plan to use whatever I can get out of the Dama towards a new vehicle, but I am still going to come up a good bit short if I want to purchase a vehicle that will be more reliable for the long distances I am driving now, and one that will last for many years.
![]() |
| RedProCom planning the conference. |
![]() |
| Visitors impressed by a 2nd grader in typing class. |
Prayer items:
- pray for the school as we grow numerically and in other ways;
- for me as I assume more responsibilities in areas outside of my comfort zone;
- pray for the technology conference that RedProCom is planning, that we will have a high rate of participation and that we'll be able to expand the vision of many Nicaraguan schools.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't be shy! Leave a comment!