:: The computers for Christian schools program ::
A couple of weeks ago we began visiting schools who have submitted applications to receive computers from the lot of computers we got from Food for the Hungry in Korea. We wanted to do site visits to get an idea of the physical space, electrical setup, and to talk with the administrator and the proposed teacher to see what we're going to be dealing with. It was exciting to take that first step towards a relationship with the schools. The applications were submitted by the Christian schools association on their behalf and really should more rightly be called recommendations. They chose schools they thought were positioned to make a computer lab successful. Here are a few photos from our first trip:
This is a picture of a school in Managua. I don't recall the name right off hand, but they have classes from kindergarten through 6th grade. No computer lab currently.
They're very excited about the possibility of getting computers and making space from this room, currently the 3rd grade classroom. 3rd grade would get displaced and have to be relocated. Proposed room:
Here's another school in Managua that already has a lab. They've got about 700 kids from kindergarten through high school, and their lab has about 9-15 computers, depending on whether you count the ones that aren't working. One thing interesting that I noted was that all the monitors were painted black...which indicates that their idea of maintenance and mine might be slightly different:

Next step will be to talk a bit more about which schools should get how many computers, plan for helping them to accommodate the space, and start planning for our monthly trainings for computer teachers. Worldwide Christian schools will be helping fund the program, and is already a large part of the Association of Christian Schools.
:: The Media Studio ::
Just finished another video! I'm so glad to be at the end of another project. They are so much work! The video is a promotional film for House of Hope ministries, who try to reach out to women and girls caught in the trap of
prostitution. I learned a lot through this project, both in terms of filming and editing, and in terms of the legalities of making a film about prostitution. I will definitely let you know when it's posted online. In this case, the organization wants to host the video themselves, so it will not appear on our YouTube channel as many others have.Next projects: I'm going to be working with other CRC missionaries here to produce a short 3 minute film to be used in our sponsoring churches during collections to give an update about what the CRCNA is doing in Nicaragua. That should come out sometime in the next few weeks.
Also, we're looking at how to i
We also had a team down from Antioch Church in Bend, Oregon. They're very artistic and feel a strong calling to be involved in the arts. Check out their channel on Vimeo (also check out this really cool video they made for World Relief). They were excited to see what's going on at the studio and so we're going to be working with them to see what kind of partnerships we can arrange. They talked about the possibility of sending teams down to do trainings or even sending individuals down to do internships and work on specific video projects.
:: Life outside of work ::
Well, this part of life has been feeling the squeeze lately. Steph, a friend from Brookside came for a visit, and while she was here, I didn't spend a whole lot of time working. She did, however, help me film the video for House of Hope, as we had a couple of shoots while she was here. We visited some volcanoes, lakes, a market, some restaurants, and basically hung out. It was great to have a friend in town to show around and do stuff with! Thanks for coming, Steph!
The sad part of her trip was that I had to make several trips to the police station. On my way to pick her up from the airport, I got in an accident. Someone turned left right in front of me at an intersection when I clearly had a green light. Basically t-boned her. The process of what happens here after an accident is different than in the US and Canada. The police arrive (it has to be a certain kind of police, called "Transito"), and they ask questions, draw pictures, measure distances, and then tell you when you need to go to the police station to get the final report and determination of who is at fault. Sometimes it can take several hours until Transito arrives to the scene. (click below to see some pictures of the event and my truck)
Thankfully, in my case they arrived within about 10 minutes, and within 45 minutes they were done. When we went to the police station the next day the police explained to me that they understood it was her fault for running a red light and that I'd probably win the case. But, they also explained that the woman I hit had a friend in the police department, and that she'd have an advantage because of that. And they also said that I was going to get a speeding ticket because of evidence left by my skid marks. They weren't real clear on how they determined that I was speeding, or even what the speed limit was, or how fast they thought I was going. They were clear about another thing, though--that I was likely to get a "red ticket" which means a suspended license, and that I'd also likely have to attend a class, and that on top of a very heft fine--1500 córdobas ($75). The largest traffic fine I've ever heard of is 400 córdobas ($20). I was shocked that they were going to slap me with all that--I wasn't even going terribly fast--in my perspective, this fine was far too heavy. Then they also made it clear that I could make sure that it would not show up in the report (and therefore I'd avoid a suspended license and the class), if I paid the 1500 córdobas to them directly instead. After a bit of a chuckle, I explained that I wanted to deal honestly with this situation, and that if I had to take responsibility for speeding, I'd rather do that, but that I did think what they were saying was extreme. At that, they turned to my friend Lennin, a Nicaraguan, and said, "I don't think he understands correctly..." and then they explained the whole thing to him again about the red ticket, suspended license, classes, etc., and reminded him that it didn't have to be that way. I can't say it wasn't tempting to pay them off, but I held my ground and braced for an extreme ruling.
Well, as it turned out, the report indicated that she was at fault. It did slap me with a ticket, but it was only a yellow one--same price, no suspension, no classes. The women actually tried to make a deal with me that I pay her deductible, which I did not agree to, and she told me she'd be appealing the ruling based on the fact that she didn't want to pay her deductible and she had other debts, and she didn't want to pay a higher insurance premium when it came time to renew. She was divorced, she says, and has kids and debts. So she asked for a review of the case, and pulled some strings, and the second police report indicated that I was at fault, and hardly even mentions her in the telling of what happened.
At this point I have involved a lawyer, and together we have filed an appeal. I am still hopeful that there's a just judge somwhere, and that we'll end up with a just ruling. The damages to my car (and hers) are nothing minor. The chassis on my truck is twisted, the motor is crooked, and while it does start now, the transmission does not engage except when it is in 4x4 low (which is like 10mph with the engine screaming in fourth gear). There's obviously a good deal of damage.
Depending on how the case turns out and what all happens, I may be starting a capital campaign soon to raise funds for a new truck. :) Totaling a vehicle here is pretty much unheard of. Mostly vehicles are fixed, then sold as if nothing had happened, and nobody knows the history. Lots of damaged vehicles running around because of this.
That's it for today. Here are the prayer items:
- pray for our project that the Media Studio moves forward in the best way possible, and that we'll continue to develop according to the Lord's will.
- pray that the computer program unfolds well, and that planning for the monthly trainings goes well.
- pray for a just outcome for my situation with the truck and the accident, pray for the other women involved, for her well being, and that she would accept responsibility.
Hey Dave!
ReplyDeleteThanks for that update. I admit that I don't always take the time to read all your updates but thankfully I'm waiting at the Quebec City airport, so time is in plenteous supply!
I will definitely pray for you and for your truck accident and the unjust ruling that was handed out.
By the way, could you add a link to the phrase following (from your blog):
"We also had a team down from Antioch Church in Bend, Oregon. They're very artistic and feel a strong calling to be involved in the arts. Check out their channel on Vimeo here."
dave!
ReplyDeleteahh, the accident just drags on. how frustrating! i'm so glad you finished the video for casa de esperanza!! (yes, you like my spanish there! =) ) i'd love to see it. sounds like you are busy busy. loved seeing you and your life. i miss you! and lenin! tell him hello from me and that chicago awaits his visit.
love love, steph
By the way, Hobbe, I did get those links into the blog. Thanks for pointing that out. Thank you very much for your prayers!
ReplyDelete