Thursday, December 10, 2009

more bikes

So about that bike trip I mentioned last time. We organized another bike trip to raise support for a different organization. I say "another" and "different" in reference to the 8-day, cross-country, Sea-to-Sea trip that we planned last January. Remember--the one where I ripped the ligaments in my shoulder? Yeah, that one. This time it was a shorter trip. Fifty kilometers each way (that's about 35 miles for the Americans out there). Half pavement, half dirt. We raised just over $2000 for the Fundacion San Lucas, or the Luke Society. They are doing a land bank program very similar to the video I linked to in the last post. There were about 25 bikers and 25 other people (including support staff) who each paid to participate in the event. A portion went to pay for the trip costs and the rest went to the land bank program. The program gives landless farmers the opportunity to buy land at a reasonable price and pay it back over the course of several years. Then they learn about a biblical worldview and why sustainable farming is so important. They manage the land bank themselves through the board of directors that is formed. I made a short video about the trip, which I'm really happy with. I'm trying to decide if I will show it here or wait til I get home! I guess I'll post it here and you can watch it if you want. If you'd like to see it in full high-def we'll have to arrange with my brother to watch it in his basement...that would be great! Here it is:



Whoah! That came out big. Oh, well. That's okay for this time. I also wanted to tell you a story of a community along the Rio Coco. I think I'm gonna save that for the next post. Don't want to give you too much at a time.

Prayer items:
-pray that I can get a lot done before I head for Michigan on the 19th, specifically for another video that I'm working on and a project to reformat the server at the Nehemiah Center.

5 comments:

  1. headed for MI huh? excellent. i will pray that you get things done so your visit can be relaxing. and also...i'd like to see you. =)
    steph tanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dave, great video for a great cause...love the music too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool video! Great to hear that so much can be used for so much good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great initiative! Love how biking can bring people together even there to help support great causes!!
    Enjoyed the visual glimpse of the trip and the people there!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!