Tuesday, January 20, 2009

chains and tires

Chains may break
and tires may blow,
but the Lord will not leave you
by the side of the road.


That's what Jim Sikkema told me over breakfast one morning while I was home for Christmas. While a lot of what we said had stuck with me, I had sort of forgotten this phrase until he reminded me about a week ago by email. Looking back, it couldn't have come at a more relevant time! One of the things that impressed me most throughout the Sea-to-Sea trip (and it also impressed others a great deal, too) was the constant provision and protection of the Lord. In fact, chains did break; tires did blow. But the Lord never left one of us by the side of the road. I had a tire blow. Many others had chains and tires blow. Some fell off bridges while others went tumbling after a high speed collisions with dogs. But through it all, we saw the mighty hand of God upholding us, providing and protecting in a vast array of different ways.

Not only did He not leave us by the side of the road, He blessed the us richly throughout the event. Here is one slideshow and another is here of some photos from the trip as taken by April. By the way, if you're interested in hearing some more stories of the trip, take some time to browse the Sea-to-Sea website. We've set up a new page called "Reflections" where riders and participants are sending in their answers to some reflection questions. You'll also find some post-trip updates on the blog page. The rider's page also has some links to personal blogs of participants with extended reflections and photos. Some of them have fun photos of me on them!

Since the ride has ended, I've been cought in a whirlwind. I got thrown back into a video project for Hand in Hand Ministries. Some filming and a lot of editing have to be done during the next week. The video will be aimed at drumming up local support for the ministry, hopefully encouraging Nicaraguans to take responsibility for the challenges facing the poor in their own country. I'm working on the project with two Nicaraguans who recieved training in videography through the Nehemiah Center. I've also been thrown back into the computer/networking world at the Nehemiah Center...and it's been keeping me busy. Our main printer/copier died this week, and while trying to sort out a temporary printing situation, two more desktop computers mysteriously died. Frustrating! It's a good thing I know about chains and tires. :)

In the midst of my busy schedule I also pulled the Systems Team together for another much needed meeting this week. We made some important decisions. I'll be presenting and introduction to open source software, OpenOffice, and Ubuntu to the Nehemiah Center staff a week from Monday, talking about its benefits and why it's a good idea of us to make use of these things instead of Microsoft software. Then next month I'll do a similar presentation to the steering committee. Also very soon I'll be starting some more in-depth trainings on specific software including OpenOffice and Scribus. Pretty exciting for me to see these things coming together. Also makes me a little nervous.

Answer to prayer! Lennin and I found another place to live. If you'll recall, we were told that we have to move out of the "apartment" that we're in now. After looking at a dozen places, we finally found one we're comfortable with. It will cost a little more, and will be slightly more out of the way, but nonetheless it was a blessing to find such a nice place so quickly. We're moving in on Monday. I'll post some pictures of the new place.

And of course, my shoulder. I'm seeing clear progress in the regaining my range of motion and strength on my right shoulder. The would is healing nicely with no signs of infection. The doctor was really pleased with how well I was doing when I saw him early this week. He called another doctor in to show him all that I could do just three weeks after surgery. Then he sent me down to set up my first PT appointment, which is set for Tuesday.

This afternoon I'll be going to get the keys to the new place and then I'll have lunch with Breyling and Mauro, the two Nicaraguan boys that I've commited to spending time with. Should be a fun afternoon!

Sorry, no time for photos today! They're coming soon!

Prayer Items
-Praise God for continued recuperation in my shoulder, and please continue to pray that there are no complications, and that healing continues!
-Pray for Breyling and Mauro as they're at the beginning edge of another school year. They face many challenges. Pray that I can be a meaningful part of their lives.
-Praise God for providing a place to live.
-Pray for focus in my work, and the wisdom to balance so many things.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! You never cease to amaze me at keeping your busy schedule! I'm so glad to hear that everything is going so well and that you are healing so quickly...Praise God! LOVE the pics from C2C, looks like you had a great time in spite of your injuries. You continue to be in my prayers...

    Blessings~
    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!