Saturday, February 23, 2008

on the move

I've been wanting to sit down and let you know what's been going on in my life since I have arrived here for my third year. As is to be expected, the slow start has been picking up speed quickly. Each of the four areas of my job are taking shape and I have been excited about each one.

Underlying all of my activities has been building a foundation through learning. This past week I put together a formalized "Learning Plan", which will help me focus how I should be spending my time. Some of the things I do will be entirely learning based, and others will be more work-based, but all will be a mixture.

The last five weeks have found me in Santa Lucia most of the time. I spent a week there participating in an evaluation of our national partner ACJ (which means YMCA, interestgly enough started by the YMCA of Montreal). Following the evaluation I participated in a work team that we hosted there in Santa Lucia. The next week I spent in Santa Lucia simply living, practicing Spanish, building relationships, and making notes for the team I would be hosting the following week. The team would be a group of four guys from Holland, Michigan. We ended up having a lot of fun working together on a water project. It was a project that the community has been working towards for approximately 2 years. I really enjoyed my time there. I got to know a bunch of local young people and played soccer nearly everyday. I also had some time to read a large part of the book "Poverty and Affluence: Towards an Economy of Care," by Bob Goudsward, which has definitely been shaping my understanding of economics. If you have a chance, check it out--very valuable.

Since returning to the Nehemiah Center, things have really picked up pace. I've been more involved in the Media Center. I'm trying to make it to as many classes I can that are happening there with the 3 students from the US. They're here as part of an advanced film making program from Trinity Christian College (Chicago). I'm sitting in on the "Fundamentals of Video Photography" class (with locals), and the "History and Culture" and "Advanced Film Production" (with the 3 US students). I'm also going on some field trips with the US students--for example to the National Assembly, where we heard Daniel Ortega's former vice-presidential running mate speak. I'm very excited to be participating in everything that's happening in and through the Media Center.

One of the more work-focused (as opposed to learning-focused) activities on my plate is spearheading an internship program that would mean collaborating with a women's co-op in Santa Lucia, CECNIC (a christian university student organization). The internship will include learning about transformational development and attending seminars at the Nehemiah Center as well as working with the co-op to create a business plan. The co-op is made of close to 30 women from the local community and they have very little business experience and need some help to make the business function more effectively.

I wish I could fill you in on all of the things that are happening here, but it would be much too difficult and time-consuming. Already I think I'm pushing the line--congratulations to you if you're read this far! And a big thank you as well.

Prayer Items:
- praise for the way things are going
- praise for the good work that the Lord is doing here in Nicaragua
- prayer for discernment on how to spend my time

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dave,

    It's been a while, but it is sooo good to hear that things are going well. This seems like such a good fit for you. Your blogs confirm that. I love your honesty, too. Praying for continued joy in your new work,
    marnie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!