Thursday, September 06, 2007

hello, moto

A few recent developments that I wanted to share with you all. One has to do with next year and one has to do with this afternoon.

First, about next year. I finally met with a few people from the Nehemiah center to discuss more formally what sort of role I could play in the upcoming year. Coming away from the meeting with a better idea, I thought, prayed and talked to a few people about the decision and a few days a go I accepted the job, which is pretty exciting. It will be a combination of Santa Lucia and Nehemiah Center. I'll spend the first month in SL, working on my Spanish and cultural understanding as well as building relationships there. When I'm at the NC I'll be working in the "Media Center" where they're going to have a recording studio and put together videos and audio. The center will be built this November, and unfortunately my involvement at it's beginning will be limited as Nejapa is obviously my #1 commitment through the end of the year. The center will house a semester course from Trinity College in Chicago and also be used as a tool to gather and express the stories of hope coming out of Nicaragua. The way I understand it, I'll be coordinating the use of the Center, maybe helping people know how to use the equipment and also maintaining the equipment. Everything is a little bit unclear but will come together as things develop and move forward. I'll be quite involved in whatever happens there. I'll probably be involved in some other technical aspects of the NC. What's more, there are always seminars happening there for community leaders, business leaders, church leaders, etc.. so I'll be able to sit in on those. And the other CRC people plan to include me in what they're doing so I can get a broader experience and hopefully during all of this figure out some things about where my gifts and interests lay. I'm excited to start! One logistical change for me is that I will need to be raising my entire income. The Nehemiah Center doesn't raise any money as an organization, and I will (proposedly) be joining the ranks as a "volunteer" through CRC World Missions.

Second, about this afternoon. Well, it actually started a while back. I've been thinking for a while about getting a motorcycle...which finally saw fruitition this afternoon! I would never have come to this point myself if I didn't have friends doing the same, but I think it will be convenient, economical, and fun. I figure I will be able to save more than 50% on fuel expenses, which I count on lowering my cost of living. Also, 2 of my friends are purchasing bikes and we plan to do a little riding together. I know--I know. It's pretty dangerous out there, so I'll be driving carefully. There's been some jokes about a missionary biker's club. In general, they're becoming much more common down here, and I expect the biking community among Americans to also grow.

I've been feeling less stress with teaching lately, and am enjoying more and more the relationships with students. It's a challenge to work with them and teach them--it involves so much more than English. I've learned a great deal and am quite glad I took this job and stuck with it two years. I know the Lord has really taken this opportunity to mold me and shape me. I pray that as I serve him in the future at the Nehemiah Center, he will continue to do the same. We certainly serve a faithful God.

Gotta run. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! The Lord has been answering them! Let me know how you're doing sometime.

3 comments:

  1. So you are still teaching but making the transition to working for the Nehemiah center?

    When are you done teaching?

    Do they have a different school year? :)

    -- Hobbe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dave
    it's neat to hear your excitement for what is ahead! blessings as you finish one thing and move to the next....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hoo-rRAY!!! a motorcycle! i wish i could have a ride. =}

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!