Monday, October 23, 2006

5 down, 1 to go

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the end...the beginning of the last marking period. As I planned today with the other English teacher, we had in common the desire that this year would be done already. We are excited about starting again next year. After several meetings, I think we finally have a plan that we feel good about for next year. We also were able to brainstorm on other larger but related issues in terms of our vision for the English program, the direction of the school, the development of the staff, and change for Nicaragua. I am so thankful to have someone working with me who is able to share so much of the same feelings. My vision for how God may be using me here is developing and it's exciting to see. He has definately given me the strength to get this far and has provided me with all that I have needed.

I will be trying to get a tutoring program started (yes, I realize it's late) with some of the high school students helping the elementary students. I have been met with some skepticism (maybe I should say cynicism) that this will work, but I firmly believe it can work--and work very well. The principal is going to be talking with the students who have said they might want to tutor tomorrow. She was a bit negative on the idea, so I will pray that she isn't negative when she talks to them about it.

All for now. Take it easy.

Prayer Items
-Praise be to God for the way he has worked in my life and for the provisions he has blessed me with. Especially for a partner in the English department with whom I can share a vision.
-Pray that the next five weeks are productive, and that I am able to turn around the attitudes of my high school students. I believe if my attitude could change, it could have a large impact on theirs--so don't forget to make that an important point in your prayers.
-Pray that the tutoring program might get started quickly and be effective.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Dave,

    Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Even when I don't respond in a comment, I am still listening-- and that keeps me praying for you.

    I think the student mentor idea is great! Often, it's when we teach something that we really learn it ourselves! I hope that happens for your hs students. Encourage them to be caring role models--not just older students capable of communicating information.

    Way to go!
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. so my new obssession is listening to the two yo yo ma songs you gave me on repeat. did i mention that i love the cello?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave a comment!